Our travel budget for 2 weeks in Laos is much lower than we expected, because Laos is quite cheap and easy to travel around. Most of the activities we did were free or just a small entrance fee. As Laos was a new country on our list, we were both suprised by the beauty of this country and we highly recommend everyone to visit Laos someday.
Budget Laos: before you read on
We spent 13 days in Laos and 2 days on the slow boat from Luang Prabang to the border of Thailand. During our visit to Laos, we slept every night in a double bedroom hotel and never cooked our own meals. We used tourist buses and local transport to get around and did some activities as hiking to viewpoints, visiting waterfalls, strolling around the market, and watch traditional events. To give you an idea of what costs you can expect when you travel to Laos, we divided our travel budget for 2 weeks in Laos into 5 categories: accommodations, transport, food & drinks, activities & others like SIM-cards, visas, and tips.
What’s not included in our travel budget for Laos
- International flights – we flew from Bangkok to Vientiane for $62 per person incl. luggage.
- Travel insurance – World Nomads
- Purchase of our backpacks and camera bags
Read also: Best websites to find the cheapest flights
Accommodations in Laos – 15 Days – $ 345 (Total for 2 persons)
We slept 14 nights in comfortable hotels and paid an average of $24 per night for both of us. Some hotels offered even breakfast included in the price! For western standards, you can find very cheap and comfortable hotels in Laos but we regret sometimes we didn’t sleep in hostels, so we could meet other travelers.
Money-saving tip: use this link to save up to $45 on your first booking on Airbnb
- 3 nights in a luxury hotel in Vientiane – La Seine Vientiane
- 11 nights in mid-range hotels – average $21/night
Read also: Best hotels & hostels in Laos
Transport in Laos – 15 Days – $ 136 (Total for 2 persons)
Using transport in Laos is quite easy as there are some local buses that take you to the main places around Laos. We took a bus from Vientiane to Vang Vieng and from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang. In the cities or town, it’s easy to take the samlaw’s (3-wheeled tuk-tuk)
- 2 buses
- Tourist bus from Vientiane to Vang Vieng – Kip 80.000 ($9)
- Tourist bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang – Kip 80.000 ($9)
- 1 boat
- we took the Luang Say slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai (Thailand)
- Scooter prices vary between $5-$7 per day
Food & drinks in Laos – 15 Days – $ 290 (total for 2 persons)
- Eating out – $254
- Groceries – $36 (snacks on the bus, fruits, …)
Excursions and activities in Laos – 15 Days – $ 57 (Total for 2 persons)
- Buddha Park Vientiane – Kip 15.000 per person ($1,8) + we paid Kip 180.000 ($20) to a local guy drive us there and back.
- Pha Ngern View Point in Vang Vieng – Kip 10.000 per person ($1,2)
- Kuang Si Waterfalls – Kip 20.000 per person ($2,2) + we arranged a local driver in town, which we paid Kip 170.000 ($18) for private transport.
- Scooter rental – Kip 50.000 per day ($5,5)
- A sunset cruise along the Mekong River – This one was complimentary from the hotel
- A massage at the award-winning Spa of Burasari Heritage – Complimentary from the hotel
- Rent a bike and explore the cute little village of Luang Prabang
- cooking class (Burasari Heritage organized a private one for us, which was great with stunning river views and a romantic setting)
- Climb Mount Phousi, Luang Prabang’s sacred hill to watch the sunset
- A visit to the Royal Palace in Luang Prabang
- Wat Xieng Thong Temple (our favorite one) – Free entrance
Other expenses in Laos – 15 Days – $ 99 (Totals for 2 persons)
Most people that visit Laos need a visa-on-arrival, just like us…. and probably this is the biggest cost is Laos. We listed here all other costs such as visa, sim cards, tips, etc, …
- Visa – We applied for a 30-day visa and paid $35 per person
- SIM-cards & data package from “Unitell” (30days) – Kip 130.000 ($15) for unlimited data. We bought the sim cards on arrival in the airport.
- Souvenirs & tips – $21
Read also: Laos: Everything you need to know
Total expenses for 2 weeks in Laos – 15 Days – $ 927
We used $927 in total for both of us to visit Laos in 2 weeks, which is an average daily budget of around $31 per person. This is probably the cheapest country we did so far and we hope to go back soon. Laos was one of the most surprising countries so far and we would highly recommend this destination to you.
Now you’ve seen our travel budget for 2 weeks in Laos, you might be ready to go. The following websites can help you plan the perfect trip: